About the World Trails Conference 2022
The World Trails Conference is a global gathering of trail experts, trail managers and builders, trail destinations, enthusiasts and academics, who meet every two years to share knowledge, network and ensure the benefits trails offer society continue to be sustainable and supported around the world.
The conference is taking place for the 8th time since it was first established on the Island of Jeju in Korea. This year trails will gather on the iconic Island of Skiathos, Greece.
The thematic topics of the conference are wide-ranging and all of them are pertinent to issues facing trails today, from cycle trails, to long-distance treks, from urban trails to commuter trails and pilgrimages.
Help shape trails into the future and contribute to the important role they play in health and wellbeing, adventure tourism, recreation, sports and rural livelihoods.
Support those supporting us.
Register for in-person or virtual attendance
Places are limited, secure your attendance today.
Important Dates to Note
Full Schedule of Events 18 Sept – 1 Oct 2022
Trail Journeys, Film Festival, Workshops, etc.
18 – 25 Sept 2022 – Pre-Conference Trail Journeys
23 – 25 September 2022 – Young Trail Ambassadors Gathering
26 – 30 September 2022 – 8th World Trails Conference
29 September 2022 – World Trails Film Festival Premiere
30 September 2022 – World Trails Network General Assembly
30 September 2022 – Skiathos Trail Excursions
30 Sept – 1 Oct 2022 – Workshops & Green Flag Trails Training
Follow these steps to get to the conference
The timeline leading up to the conference is summarized below, we hope these easy to follow steps will help you plan and not miss any of the amazing opportunities we are offering all attendees.
1. Let colleagues and friends know you are attending and get them to join you!
5. We offer a special presentation skills training option, facilitated by the 2021 World Champion of Public Speaking.
6. Collect your name badge and conference materials at registration, or log-in for the virtual sessions online.
Over 50 International Speakers from 6 Continents
Share their insights and research, their projects and enthusiasm for trails.
Learn from trail builders, designers, planners or marketing experts, volunteers, guides or those who lead community trail initiatives in interactive forums where you too can share your knowledge and expertise with others.
We have convened dynamic thought-leaders, experts and equally inspiring enthusiasts with relevant insights and case studies to ignite action and networking across the trail space.
Thematic streams and conference topics
Presentations will cover a broad range of intersecting subjects to tale trails into the future.
Trails today are no longer only about construction techniques and planning. Trails intersect with everything from tourism and health, to sports and spirituality. Our diverse thematic streams allow for a wide array of topics and discussions to take place, as we collectively chart trails into future.
Sustainable trails are a key necessity around the world. Learn about best practices, innovative solutions and inspiring projects. . .
and share your knowledge with a global audience.
Thematic trail topics include the following:
- Trail building, planning and design
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Monitoring and maintenance
- Trail Assessments and accreditation
- MTB and cycling trails
- Trail running and events
- Multi-use trails
- Biodiversity and wildlife
- Nature connection and conservation
- Pilgrimage routes, cultural routes
- Spirituality and experiences
- Maps and navigation
- Information apps and monitoring
- Digitizing trails
- Wellbeing, mental health
- Mainstreaming nature prescriptions
- Research, insights from academia, working with trail data
- Urban trails
- Mobility and green cities and greenways
- Funding models, community solutions
- Memberships and fundraising
- Climate Change
- Off-sets, reducing carbon emissions
- Restoration projects
- New Trends
- New user demands and needs
- Emerging user groups
- Build your trail narrative, social influencers, reach new markets
- Volunteers, young trail ambassadors
- Inclusion, diversity, equity, education and outreach
- Storytelling, film, books and photography
- Trails linked to peace and transboundary projects
- Destination marketing and tourism trails
- Trail readiness, guides and services
- Trails and Islands
- A special theme for the 2022 conference , inviting all island destinations to participate
- Trail assessments and monitoring, trail signage and planning
Network and build global partnerships – learn from experts and share your knowledge and trail expertise.
Key themes include – best practices, sustainability, adventure tourism, urban trails, pilgrimages, nature, new trends and research.
Sustainable trails – help trails enhance their contributions to society, tourism and rural economies.
Acquire new concepts and ideas – to apply to your trail work & showcase the work of your organization.
Grow your trail success – motivate your organization or team with insights gained.
Showcase your latest trail work – gain visibility and engage with other influential and passionate delegates.
Meet experts from the world’s leading trails.
WORLD TRAILS NETWORK
The World Trails Network is a global non-profit association committed to the sustainability and enjoyment of the world’s trails for all people, through a powerfully engaged international network of organizations and individuals.
Expected attendees include:
- Appalachian Trail, USA
- Camino de Santiago, Spain
- South West Coast Path, UK
- Jeju Olle Trail, Korea
- Great Himalayan Trails, Nepal
- Sendero Pacifico, Costa Rica
- Rim of Africa, South Africa
- Cultural Routes Turkey, Turkey
- Westfjord Trails, Iceland
- Lebanon Mountain Trail, Lebanon
- Bruce Trail, Canada
- Trans Carioca, Brazil
- Bibbulmun Track, Australia
- Japan Trail, Japan
plus many other well-known trails from the Americas, Europe,
Asia, Middle East and Africa.
Draft conference schedule
A packed programme of events open and close the conference.
The below conference schedule dates are confirmed. Parallel sessions on the Tuesday and Wednesday are still in draft form and will be updated once all speakers are confirmed. An updated and final schedule, with details of all presentations, will be published in early August 2022. Please submit your presentation proposals for both virtual and in-person presentations by 13 June.
– If you are viewing on a mobile, please scroll right to see full table –
Sign-up for an Unforgettable Trail Journey!
These journeys have been designed specifically to unlock deep networking, powerful insights and memorable experiences in small groups.
There are 3 trails to choose from with slightly different themes taking place between 18 – 25 September, in different regions of Greece.
Make the most of your trip to Greece by exploring its beautiful trails. These journeys are lead by members of the World Trails Network Task Teams and each journey will explore specific themes.